Having Fun with Lighting
Lighting is an important consideration in every home improvement project. Depending upon the type of lighting you select, you can make your bedroom appear to be larger than it really is. On the other hand, you can also use lighting to help create a certain mood or ambiance in your room design.
One of the best ways to accomplish this is to mix fixed lighting with mood and task lighting in your bedroom. You can also create more interest in your room by positioning your lights at various heights. The contrast will help keep the eye busy while also increasing the apparent size of the room.
Of course, the type of mood you want in your bedroom at a particular time may change according to the time of day. In the morning, for example, you may prefer bright lighting that helps you wake up and get ready for the day. At night, on the other hand, you may prefer low lighting that will help you relax and get ready for sleep. Therefore, it is a good idea to install dimmer switches in your room design. This way, you can achieve the level of lighting you need at any time of the day.
Getting Creative with Color
Color also has a strong effect on the mood of bedroom designs. Therefore, you need to consider the type of mood you hope to create in your bedroom before selecting the color you will use. The following is a general rule of thumb regarding the mood you will set with certain types of colors:
- Neutrals – creates a calming feeling, making them good for sleeping
- Darks – creates a sensual and intimate feeling, making them good for creating a room of romance
- Brights – stimulates the senses, making them a good choice for accents only
With the help of the right textiles, you can introduce more colors and patterns to your space while keeping the colors on the walls more neutral. This way, you can create interest and contrast in your room design.
Exploring the Senses with Textiles
By choosing the right textiles for bedroom designs, you can make your bedroom feel warm, inviting, and sexy all at the same time. Keep in mind that the perfect room design will engage all of the senses as much as possible. With textiles, you can easily stimulate the sense of sight and touch.
If you have hardwood flooring in your bedroom, you should add area rugs or sheepskins to your floor. Not only will the texture and color help to break up the floor and create more interest for the eye, the rugs will also help you keep your feet warm when you step out of bed.
Window treatments are also essential when creating the perfect bedroom. Be certain to choose window treatments with a color and texture that will compliment your space. Your bed linens should also be carefully selected to compliment the décor in your room design, but plan on changing your linens out every season. This way, you will be more comfortable as you sleep and you can create a fresh mood and look in your room every few months.
You can create further textural interest with the help of wallpaper, but don’t feel obligated to wallpaper the entire room. Rather, consider wallpapering just one wall in a room in order to create an attractive contrast. Of course, the small details also go a long way toward creating the perfect bedroom. Simple additions such as padded fabric hangers in your closet, pretty paper lining your drawers, and glass knobs on the outside of your furniture can really help turn a bedroom into a sanctuary.
Providing the Storage You Need
One of the biggest challenges of creating the perfect bedroom designs is finding a way to make the space functional as well as pleasing to look at. This is particularly true when it comes to creating storage space. With these simple tricks, however, you can keep your possessions within easy reach while also keeping your room looking great:
- Use built-in storage units, which can be customized to suit the size and proportions of your bedroom
- Create additional storage space beneath your bed or make a window seat that opens up to additional storage
- Utilize stylish, freestanding storage units, which can be moved around to create a fresh look in your bedroom and can be taken with you when you move
- Make better use of your smaller spaces with the help of baskets, shoe racks, and dividers.
- Place everyday items within easy reaching distance while placing less used items up high in your closet
Of course, bedrooms have a tendency to get cluttered as we purchase new items and forget to get rid of the things we are no longer using. So, plan to clean out your room at least once per year and get rid of the items you no longer need or want.
Arranging Your Furniture
The final factor to consider when creating bedroom designs is the layout of the furniture. Obviously, the shape and dimensions of your room will somewhat dictate your layout. At the same time, there are a few rules of thumb that you should keep in mind when arranging your furniture. These include:
- Don’t block windows with furniture, as it creates a cramped and cluttered look
- Arrange furniture in a way that makes it easy for you to access your bedroom items
- If space allows, consider angling furniture items in order to add more interest
- Make certain there is ample space around the bed to allow you to walk around without bumping into furniture
By keeping these tips in mind when developing your bedroom designs, you will be certain to have a space that you will enjoy morning, noon, and night!